Coming June 9, 2016, Here & Now listeners and visitors will experience our stories and journalism online in a whole new way.
The U.S. House of Representatives has approved nearly $10 billion is worth of aid for victims of Superstorm Sandy. Its the first phase of a proposed 60 billion dollar aid package for Sandy victims. One businessman anxiously waiting to see what the outcome brings is Anthony Giumenta, Sr. He’s president and founder of Architectural Grille, a Brooklyn, New York maker of high quality, custom grilles for ventilation systems whose business has been struggling since the storm hit on October 29th.
“The government says things, but it’s all talk, and no action.”
Giumenta says he lost six-to-eight million dollars when his computer-programmed cutting machines and all of his raw materials were damaged after salt water flooded his plant in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. Mr. Giumenta had flood coverage, but he says his insurance company has so far refused to honor his claim, and despite applying for aid and contacting officials at the highest levels he says he has received no assistance from the federal government, the state of New York, the Borough of Brooklyn or the City of New York.
Guimenta tells Here & Now’s Deborah Becker that “The government says things, but it’s all talk, and no action. And that’s the sad part about our government. Here we are in January. What’s taken so long.”